One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make a row of continuous stitches on the top or right side of a garment or other article as a decorative feature.
- ‘For the girls, the colours are subtle with rainbow blocks, patchwork, topstitching, embroidery and prints in a variety of style.’
- ‘Lap a pocket flap over the fringe seam allowance and topstitch in place.’
- ‘From the garment right side, topstitch the left-hand side of the zipper (the overlap) starting at the lower end.’
- ‘Now topstitch about 1 3/4 ‘from the edge of the fold.’’
- ‘Serge the edge with a 3-thread overlock stitch, fold the edge over, then topstitch.’
- ‘These needles are an especially good choice for heirloom sewing and when perfectly straight stitching is desired - such as for topstitching or making pintucks.’
- ‘Press the seam allowances open and topstitch with a long straight stitch on both sides of the seam, being careful not to stretch the fabric while stitching.’
- ‘Turn up the hem 1 1/2 ‘and topstitch with a twin needle.’’
- ‘For a denim bag, press the seam allowances to one side and topstitch near the seam, catching the seam allowances underneath.’
- ‘Be sure that you're happy with all construction stitching and pressing before you begin topstitching.’
- ‘Using a long stitch, topstitch 1/8 ‘from each side of the side seam, stitching across the seam at the slit upper edge.’’
- ‘Place trims under the band opening end and topstitch in place before joining the remaining pillowcase seams.’
- ‘To mimic a ready-to-wear coverstitch, use a contrasting texturized nylon in the bobbin and topstitch with a double needle on the garment wrong side.’
- ‘Steam-press the sections in place, then topstitch 5/8 ‘from the decorative edge.’’
- ‘At the neckline edge, fold 3/8 ‘to the wrong side and, on a conventional sewing machine, topstitch the neckline.’’
- ‘The bag is fully interfaced, reinforced, topstitched, and lined with loud Alexander Henry deco-style printed cotton.’
- ‘Enclose the raw edges of all three curtain layers in the seam allowances at the tape lower edge and topstitch according to the manufacturer's instructions, turning in the raw edges at the unfinished tape end.’
- ‘Finger-press and topstitch as much as possible to make the seams lie flat.’
- ‘Its flat edge was created by topstitching around it.’
- ‘A key trend is tucking the pant in the boot to create a long lean look, so it is a must to show off boots that are embossed, repousséed and topstitched.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.