The study of place names.
- ‘The methods employed in this project are easy to use, making them helpful to local communities involved in toponymy and other mapping projects.’
- ‘This toponymy, dating from medieval times, reappeared spontaneously in southern and eastern Ukrainian towns and cities, such as Kherson, Mykolaiv, and Simferopol that were built in the eighteenth century.’
- ‘I am certain I'm not the only lover of words and etymology around here (oh and toponymy, too!)’
- ‘The toponymy of each of the 20 zonal maps was carefully checked.’
- ‘The continual references to the toponymy, or place names, of Dublin suggest the chapter's investment in the rhetoric of cartography.’
- ‘The mapping authenticated indigenous toponymy in Darien.’
Late 19th century: from Greek topos place + onuma name.