The study of place names.
- ‘I am certain I'm not the only lover of words and etymology around here (oh and toponymy, too!)’
- ‘The methods employed in this project are easy to use, making them helpful to local communities involved in toponymy and other mapping projects.’
- ‘The mapping authenticated indigenous toponymy in Darien.’
- ‘The toponymy of each of the 20 zonal maps was carefully checked.’
- ‘The continual references to the toponymy, or place names, of Dublin suggest the chapter's investment in the rhetoric of cartography.’
- ‘This toponymy, dating from medieval times, reappeared spontaneously in southern and eastern Ukrainian towns and cities, such as Kherson, Mykolaiv, and Simferopol that were built in the eighteenth century.’
Late 19th century: from Greek topos place + onuma name.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.