One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small surface-swimming fish related to the killifishes, found in fresh, brackish, and salt water throughout North America.
- ‘For MHC sampling, degenerate PCR primers were designed from an alignment of guppy, topminnow, cichlid, and bass Mhc class II B sequences found in GenBank.’
- ‘In a previous series of laboratory trials, we examined the strength of premating and postmating barriers in an allopatric species pair of the endangered Sonoran topminnow, Poeciliopsis occidentalis and P. sonoriensis.’
- ‘A network of desert springs known as Bylas Springs, lying adjacent to the Gila River on the San Carlos Indian Reservation in Arizona, was once home to a thriving population of Gila topminnows.’
- ‘Associations between MHC heterozygosity and infectious diseases in free-ranging animals under natural conditions have been found in Chinook salmon and in Gila topminnow.’
- ‘The goal is to establish suitable habitats throughout each watershed to allow the topminnow to migrate from one site to another.’
- ‘Listed as being used for bait to catch the .015-pound entry for blackstripe topminnow is ‘live worm.’’
- ‘The Gila topminnow historically occurred throughout the Gila River drainage in Arizona, and even into New Mexico and Mexico.’
- ‘The males are less responsive to non-threatening fish like topminnows (family Fundulidae).’
- ‘The Arizona Game and Fish Department and The Nature Conservancy are monitoring the Gila topminnow and Huachuca water umbel populations at the spring.’
- ‘One form of aggressive behavior is dominance hierarchies, which are found in many groups (e.g. catfishes, minnows, cods, ricefishes, topminnows, cichlids, wrasses, blennies, and boxfishes).’
- ‘Much of this early tissue transplant research was in live-bearing fishes, closely related to the Gila topminnows that we utilized in our research here.’
- ‘Other members of the group then presented the landowners with various tokens of appreciation, including passes to the Tennessee Aquarium and a framed print of the Barrens topminnow by a renowned fish illustrator.’
- ‘Tyler's work with the Barrens topminnow stands as a shining example of her hard work and dedication to the protection and recovery of rare species.’
- ‘Five other landowners within the watershed have joined in the partnership to establish habitat for the topminnow and improve water quality for the endangered Cumberland pigtoe mussel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.