One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hat, especially a sola topi.
- ‘Donaldson, wearing a topee, a black T-shirt and a pair of three quarter pants, together with Murray and James, stood calmly before John as she read the charges against them.’
- ‘That means that when the guys in solar topees go home newly independent countries have to choose between charismatic and bureaucratic rule.’
- ‘The British infantry adopted the spiked, cloth-covered cork helmet in 1878 and covered it in khaki drill cloth for wear in hot climates - creating the first of the solar topis.’
- ‘Slightly apart stand a line of khaki-clad men, ancients with grizzled beards and yellow, rheumy eyes, dressed in tattered uniforms and battered solar topis.’
- ‘The usual literary suspects trailed their solar topees and bar chits through here, starting with Joseph Conrad in 1887, the year of its opening.’
- ‘So mistakenly they went and bought me armfuls of tropical kit: solar topees, boots to keep mosquitoes out at night, riding britches, God knows what.’
- ‘All his work in recruiting locals who still sport solar topees and spill their first G & T of the day in a loyal toast to the Queen Empress will unravel.’
- ‘The simple creatures hope he will impale his solar topee on a tree.’
From Hindi ṭopī ‘hat’.
A large African antelope related to the hartebeests, with a pattern of bold black patches on a reddish coat, and thick ridged horns.See also sassaby
- ‘Although rich with game the crater has no giraffe, impala or topi.’
- ‘In this study on lek-breeding topi antelopes, I investigate whether female mating preferences have consequences for male investment in harassment and whether harassing males are more likely to succeed in mating.’
- ‘Wildebeest, topi, warthog, and Grant's gazelle births differed from all predicted distributions.’
- ‘Across the open grasslands are scattered various members of the antelope family - horned bushbucks, waterbucks, eland, topi, gazelle and impala.’
- ‘Thus, at one extreme there is a group of species that had high Kolmogorov-Smirnov values and that differed from all predicted distributions by having short, synchronized seasons (wildebeest, topi, warthog, and Grant's gazelle).’
- ‘Add up all the lions, elephants, warthogs, giraffes, gazelles, zebras, impalas, topis and hyenas that live on these plains and they fail to outnumber the gnus.’
- ‘Male topi, Damaliscus lunatus, defend core areas within large home ranges at low population densities and wooded habitat, but they form leks at high population densities in open grasslands.’
- ‘It is closely related to topi and wildebeest, both of which show extreme birth synchrony.’
- ‘For the six grazing species with precocial young (wildebeest, topi, kongoni, warthog, buffalo, zebra), Fig 3. shows the frequency distribution of births.’
Late 19th century: from Mende.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.