One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A quark with a mass of about 340,000 times that of an electron and a charge of +2/3.
- ‘Therefore the Higgs particle cannot be much heavier than the top quark (which has a mass of 174.3 5.1 GeV).’
- ‘I understand this is the same process by which the top quark was discovered.’
- ‘In our quest to understand the nature of the weak force, physicists have come up with some theories that link the weak force's extremely heavy W-boson with the extremely heavy top quark.’
- ‘They were part of an international team at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory near Chicago that established the mass of the top quark, a discovery that ranked as Discover's No. 57 story.’
- ‘String theory claims that all particles - everything from electrons to exotic particles like the top quark - are made up of something smaller, something which may possibly be the essence of everything.’
- ‘Besides the Higgs and supersymmetry, ATLAS and CMS will also measure various properties of the top quark and explore the strong interaction at 14 TeV.’
- ‘Male African elephants and the smallest species of ant differ in mass by more than 11 orders of magnitude - roughly the same span as the top quark and the neutrino.’
- ‘My key predictions of the top quark mass and the Higgs boson mass (still unknown) even appeared in the pages of Nature, the most prestigious refereed science journal in the world.’
- ‘Thus, Nature hides its fundamental particles and we would like to understand better how the Strong Force achieves this. - Only the mass of the top quark is accurately known, because QCD effects are small for such a heavy particle.’
- ‘These include the charm and top quarks, which are heavy copies of the up quark, and the strange and bottom quarks, which are heavy copies of the down quark.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.