One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An application of manure or fertilizer to the surface layer of soil or a lawn.
- ‘Courses have been overseeding with winter rye, aerifying and top dressing greens, and preparing 2002 maintenance budgets.’
- ‘Some sites were completely excavated and refilled with fresh compost and soil; others receive top dressing with 2 feet of compost.’
- ‘The next project was the development of an air strip and aerial top dressing to increase the area of productive land.’
- ‘Sligo County Council has completed the top dressing on Teeling Street after all the man-holes have been filled in and all the underground work now completed.’
- ‘Good compost is a must for every garden, and all of your plants will benefit from a good top dressing with this rich, organic material.’
- ‘The work in question involved stripping the pitch using a Koro machine and draining off the surface water before seeding, top dressing and fertilising.’
- ‘Then walk up and down the lawn pulling the device and smoothing out the mounds while top dressing the lawn at the same time.’
- ‘In the spring, his crew will be back on the fairways aerating, top dressing and fertilizing.’
- ‘A heavy top dressing to improve levels was put in place and the area rolled to a fine finish.’
- ‘The operation will involve levelling, grading, top dressing and seeding the pitches but, as was done at Nuttall Park in Ramsbottom last year, a specialist Koro Topmaker machine will be used on one of the pitches.’
- ‘Due to the good nitrogen-fixation, top dressing is normally not required.’
- ‘From now until July 20 he will keep it aerated, fed and watered, give it a top dressing and keep it mowed, usually to a length of 50 mm.’
- ‘Sligo County Council have completed the top dressing on Teeling Street after all the manholes have been filled in and all the underground work now completed.’
- ‘I also gave the potted plants (rosemary, chives, oregano and garlic) a bit more compost and a top dressing of bark chips to smarten them up, keep down the weeds and help with water retention.’
- ‘The compost can be used as mulch around plants, as a top dressing over your lawn which can fertilise the soil, or as a soil improver in vegetable or flower beds.’
top dressing/ˈtäp ˌdresiNG/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.