One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘One or two prospective top-notchers have already had a run-out, notably Henrietta Knight's Best Mate at Exeter on Tuesday.’
- ‘‘The next two or three signings we make are going to be top-notchers and I mean real top-notchers,’ he said.’
- ‘It was a magnificent triumph for the Gillingham-based Emma to take on and beat the top-notchers from the high profile sports of football, cricket, triathlon and superbike.’
- ‘The City chief has vowed to bring in two or three top-notchers before the start of the season, but has set no time limit on his transfer activity.’
- ‘She started off as a big band vocalist and graduated from there to be one of the top-notchers of our time.’
- ‘Uppermost in Ella's mind is to ensure that top-notchers are all fit to face the English side in a crucial Heineken Cup tie.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.