Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of the highest quality; excellent.‘a top-notch hotel’
first-rate, first-class, top-grade, top-levelView synonyms
- ‘Whatever your choice, make sure you buy top-notch works of art that you really like.’
- ‘Unquestionably possess the greatest depth of talent in the finals, with top-notch quality throughout.’
- ‘It had a selection of top-notch artisan products and fine wines, in addition to its bigger industries.’
- ‘I was also keenly aware of the quality of his readership - many of them top-notch bloggers in their own right.’
- ‘Gippsland's Horse of the Year was announced recently which went to a top-notch racing horse in the region.’
- ‘If you have more dash than cash, you can get top-notch advice.’
- ‘Nominated for a best foreign film Oscar, it is a beautifully shot film with some top-notch performances.’
- ‘Seemingly every weekend SFU is forced to square off against a top-notch team.’
- ‘The video quality on the disc is top-notch with no sign of grain or compression artifacts.’
- ‘However, the movie is still worth seeing, if only for a top-notch swansong from Coburn.’
- ‘Fable is a fine blend of first-person adventure, role-play action and top-notch sitcom.’
- ‘She was bred from two top-notch working dogs from Thames Valley Police and is one of the youngest dogs to become licensed in the UK.’
- ‘Someone must have turned in a top-notch performance for the dance gods.’
- ‘Certainly Insomnia is helped along by some fine performances from its top-notch cast.’
- ‘This is top-notch entertainment set against the backdrop of a Mediterranean village and will entertain every age group.’
- ‘Apparently, top-notch shops have a feeling that quality and high cost are two sides of the same coin.’
- ‘It offers excellent value for money, top-notch image quality and a wealth of useful features.’
- ‘America's most expensive hotel has no strict theme, but it does have top-notch rooms, lovely pools and glamour to spare.’
- ‘Well, actually, what made it a lot easier was the fact that the top-notch doctors that are on the show.’
- ‘Silence and emptiness in spades to give it that ring of authenticity plus the benefits of top-notch facilities.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.