Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of the highest level of importance or prestige.‘top-level talks’
first-rate, first-class, top-grade, top-levelView synonyms
- ‘Last night a senior Customs officer said the seizure represented a major breakthrough in the fight against top-level criminals.’
- ‘He learned of the tragedy before his current team, the London rugby union side Wasps where he is defensive coach, played a top-level game.’
- ‘But at a top-level meeting with highways officials, police agreed the area should be a 40 mph zone.’
- ‘In private, tape recordings tell us, top-level discussions were something else.’
- ‘Youngsters - supposedly the future of golf - are not exposed to enough top-level golf to develop an interest in the game.’
- ‘Due to top-level corruption, core decisions would not be taken through transparent procedures and on merit.’
- ‘It's a great thing to be able to have these level of coaches, because they attract other top-level clinicians.’
- ‘The mutineers insist they were not trying to seize power but only wanted to expose a top-level conspiracy.’
- ‘There is a fine line between success and failure in top-level golf.’
- ‘Indicating the scope of a top-level label is an excellent way to provide context for that label.’
- ‘We should not always leave the decision-making to top-level officials.’
- ‘Meanwhile, a top-level investigation has been ordered in an attempt to identify the cause of the freak explosion.’
- ‘Get the mobile police unit in if you have to, and get me a crack team of top-level Mages together.’
- ‘Cabinet ministers have held top-level talks with Britain's biggest high street retailers in a bid to breath new life into Bradford.’
- ‘Opposition politicians and children's groups last night condemned the SPS and demanded a top-level inquiry.’
- ‘Roasting has taken on a more sordid meaning with claims that top-level footballers are engaging in group sex with consenting young women.’
- ‘Jaguar's re-entry into the world of top-level motorsport was supposed to herald a bright new dawn for the old marque, not an eclipse.’
- ‘This game is all about national prestige, international rivalry and top-level politics.’
- ‘It marks the start of a top-level shake-up that should save £250,000 a year from 2007 onwards.’
- ‘Ministers were acting on the recommendations of a top-level report aimed at tackling rising levels of obesity among young people.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.