Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a product) at the top of a range; high quality or sophisticated.‘top-end automobiles’
- ‘Their best bet might be a top-end Championship team, where they come in and play well and stay in that team when they get promoted to the Premiership.’
- ‘But it does confirm, at last, that the top-end P4s are 64-bit capable.’
- ‘All these features make the new controller a top-end product, of course.’
- ‘Of course, many visiting stars choose to stay in top-end hotels, especially for a night in Dublin.’
- ‘It is a massive secular cathedral, glittering with the best retail opportunities money can buy and here nothing comes cheap, certainly not a top-end restaurant.’
- ‘Today, all of the major American ammunition makers have a top-end product in both handgun, rifle and shotgun ammunition.’
- ‘The rise of the niche and boutique hotels has been undermining growth at the exclusive top-end market.’
- ‘These are top-end products whose distribution is confined to the US.’
- ‘The top-end chip contains 1MB of L2 cache, the lower-end part 512KB.’
- ‘We reviewed two top-end cameras from Canon and Hitachi.’
- ‘Hence, the company is trying to change the product mix to increase the production of the top-end model.’
- ‘It is nowhere near as big and threatening as top-end SUVs and, thanks to suspension tuned for tarmac rather than mud, rides quite well on the road.’
- ‘There was a high demand for top-end houses, matched by a healthy supply.’
- ‘Because of this, the top-end hotels have had to distinguish themselves with lavish spending on innovative modern design and eye-catching architecture.’
- ‘Spurning such childish gadgets, adults look for something top-end to show off their more sophisticated tastes.’
- ‘Towards Wexford town, there was plenty of confidence in the top-end executive market which was very steady while the lower end saw good, solid trade.’
- ‘Motorola's top-end product is the 7457, announced earlier this year but not yet in volume production.’
- ‘Agents said the sales have set a benchmark for luxury projects in the Kowloon Station area, as the Harbourside is the first top-end project launched there.’
- ‘This has all the characteristics of top-end rioja: ripe fruit, cedar notes and a wonderful comforting velvety finish.’
- ‘The top-end GS1280 server is shipping with between 8 and 16 1.15GHz processors immediately.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.