Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Assorted tools, especially ones required for a mechanized process.
- ‘The tooling and molding cost had to be lower than casting lead.’
- ‘This plane clearly involved some fairly sophisticated tooling, with rotary cutters that could be advanced into the work while maintaining the correct angles with respect to the block.’
- ‘Tooling costs to produce the box in composite are five times lower than steel and there is an overall cost savings on the composite box, although specific numbers were not given.’
- ‘In most cases the process uses single-sided tooling, at much lower pressures than conventional stamping, reducing tooling costs as well.’
- ‘One advantage is that the tooling for a chemical process costs much less than conventional tooling.’
- ‘Where possible, cost is attacked before design, tooling or a process even exists, maximizing the opportunity to hit project cost goals.’
- ‘There is no special tooling required for removal; carbon and stainless steel are available off the shelf.’
- ‘The substitution of a resin that costs 43% less, while still using existing tooling and equipment highlighted this innovation.’
- ‘So, at higher volumes, composite production tooling costs rise significantly.’
- ‘The run rates of niche vehicles don't allow for fixed assembly tooling costs for each model.’
- ‘Supplier concepts are more likely embraced by customers if they reduce piece price, tooling or freight costs immediately.’
- ‘Raburn said composites are seductive to a low-volume manufacturing environment because the tooling required is easy to build.’
- ‘They're good process people and we've learned a lot about the processing, tooling and equipment that they do over there.’
- ‘Consider a process design change that requires a major investment in sustaining tooling that also reduces production costs over time.’
- ‘Recurring costs are incurred on an ongoing basis, such as final assembly, while nonrecurring costs are made up of one-time expenses such as initial tooling and production planning.’
- ‘Their electrodes prevent the need for extra tooling, thereby reducing cost.’
- ‘In high-volume production, stamping spreads one-time tooling and setup costs over thousands of identical parts, so unit part costs will be lower.’
- ‘Clearance for the tooling or gripper required to hold parts during assembly is an important consideration.’
- ‘But based on an analysis of weight and costs (manufacturing, tooling, assembly), an alternative was sought.’
- ‘Manufacturers charge special tooling and labour costs which add very large fees to the cost of a spare part.’
- 1.1The process of making or working something with tools.
- ‘There were no tooling marks to be found anywhere and the knurling was sharp and even throughout.’
- ‘We can deduce the processes that were employed by examining the remains of discarded or lost, part worked or broken beads, for wear or tooling marks.’
- ‘Boat making, silver-smithing, bronze tooling, cloth weaving and basket making are examples of the types of artistry celebrated and emulated in modern-day culture.’
- ‘All tooling marks are removed by hand polishing.’
- ‘He takes emery paper and handpolishes the tooling marks out of the firing pin stop.’
- ‘A number of variants could be pulled from this basic structure with minimal increases in either cost or tooling.’
- ‘The disconnector notch was polished as smooth as Egyptian anthracite, and all tooling marks were polished out.’
2The ornamentation of a leather book cover with designs impressed by heated tools.
- ‘Once bound, she finishes each book with a variety of artistic touches such as embroidery, dyeing, gold tooling or edge coloring.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.