One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of the tonsils.
- ‘Other conditions that can cause fevers are tonsillitis, kidney or urinary infections, or any of the common childhood diseases such as measles, mumps, chicken pox and whooping cough.’
- ‘If your child's doctor has prescribed antibiotics for strep tonsillitis, make sure that your child takes all doses on schedule for as many days as the doctor has directed.’
- ‘At first, glandular fever is sometimes wrongly diagnosed, for example as a bacterial throat infection or tonsillitis.’
- ‘If you suspect tonsillitis, contact your child's doctor.’
- ‘She is otherwise of good health and had no history of recurrent tonsillitis or diabetes mellitus.’
- ‘Conversely someone who generally has good health might experience a significant impact on their quality of life from a relatively minor illness, such as tonsillitis, because they have high expectations of their health.’
- ‘Smoking, tonsillitis, diseases of the lungs and air passages, kidney dysfunctions, and leukemia also are among possible medical causes of undesirable mouth odors.’
- ‘But they said it was just tonsillitis or glandular fever and they sent us home.’
- ‘A two-year-old child with acute tonsillitis and otitis media had been infected by his babysitter.’
- ‘She was diagnosed with liver damage almost a year ago, and has also suffered from extreme tiredness and a series of illnesses including chicken pox, tonsillitis, flu and glandular fever.’
- ‘In infants, tonsillitis may include symptoms that appear to be less focused on the throat, such as poor feeding, runny nose, and a slight fever.’
- ‘Swollen adenoids are often associated with tonsillitis (infected tonsils) and are usually removed as part of an operation to remove the tonsils.’
- ‘Peritonsillar abscess is a suppurative complication of pharyngitis or tonsillitis.’
- ‘Why does one person experience headaches and sore throats whereas another has migraines and tonsillitis?’
- ‘When tonsillitis is caused by viruses, the length of illness depends on which virus is involved.’
- ‘In my clinic I treat acute illnesses such as tonsillitis and colic, to mental and emotional conditions.’
- ‘Three weeks earlier he had had tonsillitis, fever, and diarrhoea.’
- ‘Nevertheless, recently it has been used with some success to treat recurrent otitis media and prevent recurrences of streptococcal tonsillitis.’
- ‘Bacterial tonsillitis can be treated with antibiotics, but viral tonsillitis cannot.’
- ‘Also it is linked with asthma, tonsillitis, digestive disorders, eczema and even cataracts, breast and prostrate cancer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.