One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of the tonsils.
- ‘She is otherwise of good health and had no history of recurrent tonsillitis or diabetes mellitus.’
- ‘Also it is linked with asthma, tonsillitis, digestive disorders, eczema and even cataracts, breast and prostrate cancer.’
- ‘Swollen adenoids are often associated with tonsillitis (infected tonsils) and are usually removed as part of an operation to remove the tonsils.’
- ‘Conversely someone who generally has good health might experience a significant impact on their quality of life from a relatively minor illness, such as tonsillitis, because they have high expectations of their health.’
- ‘Three weeks earlier he had had tonsillitis, fever, and diarrhoea.’
- ‘Peritonsillar abscess is a suppurative complication of pharyngitis or tonsillitis.’
- ‘Nevertheless, recently it has been used with some success to treat recurrent otitis media and prevent recurrences of streptococcal tonsillitis.’
- ‘In infants, tonsillitis may include symptoms that appear to be less focused on the throat, such as poor feeding, runny nose, and a slight fever.’
- ‘But they said it was just tonsillitis or glandular fever and they sent us home.’
- ‘When tonsillitis is caused by viruses, the length of illness depends on which virus is involved.’
- ‘Why does one person experience headaches and sore throats whereas another has migraines and tonsillitis?’
- ‘A two-year-old child with acute tonsillitis and otitis media had been infected by his babysitter.’
- ‘Smoking, tonsillitis, diseases of the lungs and air passages, kidney dysfunctions, and leukemia also are among possible medical causes of undesirable mouth odors.’
- ‘Bacterial tonsillitis can be treated with antibiotics, but viral tonsillitis cannot.’
- ‘At first, glandular fever is sometimes wrongly diagnosed, for example as a bacterial throat infection or tonsillitis.’
- ‘In my clinic I treat acute illnesses such as tonsillitis and colic, to mental and emotional conditions.’
- ‘If your child's doctor has prescribed antibiotics for strep tonsillitis, make sure that your child takes all doses on schedule for as many days as the doctor has directed.’
- ‘If you suspect tonsillitis, contact your child's doctor.’
- ‘Other conditions that can cause fevers are tonsillitis, kidney or urinary infections, or any of the common childhood diseases such as measles, mumps, chicken pox and whooping cough.’
- ‘She was diagnosed with liver damage almost a year ago, and has also suffered from extreme tiredness and a series of illnesses including chicken pox, tonsillitis, flu and glandular fever.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.