Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A surgical operation to remove the tonsils.
- ‘The case involved a child who had a tonsillectomy despite a low-grade fever, remained in coma after surgery, and died 24 hours later.’
- ‘Most still perform a tonsillectomy the way they were taught in residency - using an electrocautery device - and are very satisfied with the results.’
- ‘They can often be removed in the clinic, but tonsillectomy may be necessary.’
- ‘In addition, adenoidectomy combined with a tonsillectomy may decrease the incidence further.’
- ‘Severe or complicated tonsillitis that keeps on coming back may justify the removal of the tonsils, an operation known as tonsillectomy.’
- ‘Her surgical history included a tonsillectomy and an adenoidectomy.’
- ‘Surgical excision via tonsillectomy provides definitive management for these lesions, with patients undergoing an uncomplicated postoperative recovery.’
- ‘Charges should be made for some minor treatments like removal of varicose veins, tattoos and tonsillectomies.’
- ‘By the end of the 1920s, deliveries and abortions, adenoidectomies, appendectomies, tonsillectomies, and the treatment of accident victims accounted for 60 percent of hospital admissions.’
- ‘Her past medical history is remarkable for COPD, peripheral vascular disease with claudication, elevated cholesterol, tonsillectomy, and hysterectomy.’
- ‘If your sleep apnoea is caused by large tonsils and/or adenoids, these can be removed in a simple operation called a tonsillectomy or adenoidectomy.’
- ‘Her weak immune system means she has caught pneumonia six times and e-coli three times and she has just come out of hospital after a four-week stay for breathing problems, which it is hoped a tonsillectomy will have sorted out.’
- ‘The typical recuperation after a tonsillectomy and/or an adenoidectomy often involves a week or more of pain and discomfort due to the exposure of the throat muscles.’
- ‘I would also like to clarify that the only permanent solution for chronic tonsillitis is a tonsillectomy.’
- ‘She underwent a tonsillectomy, and the whole tonsil was easily dissected out without any adherence to the deeper tissues.’
- ‘He did tonsillectomies, at a rate of two to four a week, for a charge of $35, back when everyone, including me, got their tonsils out.’
- ‘A 12-year-old girl underwent an uncomplicated tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy under general endotracheal anesthesia.’
- ‘U.S. surgeons performed hysterectomies and tonsillectomies at rates far above their international counterparts.’
- ‘Although the medical literature since the 1950s had condemned the overuse of tonsillectomies, the profession acted to limit them only after being publicly shamed.’
- ‘Almost 1,200,000 tonsillectomies and/or adenoidectomies are performed each year in India.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.