Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A membrane that bounds the chief vacuole of a plant cell.
- ‘However, these cells had a continuous layer of smooth plasma membrane, and central vacuoles had distinct tonoplasts.’
- ‘MIPs are abundant proteins localized to the plasma membrane, the tonoplast, or other endomembranes of plant cells.’
- ‘The tonoplast of K. daigremontiana mesophyll cells exhibits circadian behaviour of malate retention under constant darkness.’
- ‘Aquaporins mediate the bidirectional passage of water over membranes and are present in tonoplasts and in plasma membranes of plant cells.’
- ‘The black material at the left edge of the micrograph is vacuolar tannin lining the tonoplast.’
Late 19th century: from Greek tonos tension, tone + plastos formed.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.