Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bitter carbonated soft drink made with quinine, used especially as a mixer with gin or other liquors (originally used as a stimulant of appetite and digestion)→ tonic
- ‘Soda water, seltzer water and tonic water are not considered bottled waters.’
- ‘When we want tonic water, we will ask for tonic water.’
- ‘If you have mixed drinks, use mixers that are sugar-free, such as diet soda, tonic water, club soda or seltzer.’
- ‘The quinine-laced tonic water was proscribed as a malaria preventive, and the ingenious troops found adding gin made the nasty stuff slide right down.’
- ‘I was drinking large quantities of tonic water, which contains quinine, when this started.’
- ‘I was told tonic water would stop leg cramps because of the quinine.’
- ‘The basic mixers are cola, lemon-lime soda, tonic water, soda water, orange juice, cranberry juice, tomato juice, ginger ale and grapefruit juice.’
- ‘Add a spritz of your favorite juice to flavored seltzer water or diet tonic water.’
- ‘Liza was also very fond of toast, oranges, and tonic water and her pink fluffy slippers that she never seemed to be without.’
- ‘When tested later, the memory of those who drank vodka was significantly impaired compared with the memory of those who drank tonic water.’
- ‘I'm now drunk on gin and peach flavoured diet tonic water.’
- ‘She said I should drink tonic water, which has quinine in it.’
- ‘One doctor told me to drink tonic water for its quinine, but it doesn't seem to help.’
- ‘The critic's choice of vegetarian spring rolls, vegetarian curry, and vegetable stir-fry accompanied by tonic water and draft beer doesn't really sound like quality.’
- ‘148 undergraduate students were given tonic water, but half were told they were drinking vodka.’
- ‘If I take a couple swigs of tonic water, that may help.’
- ‘Others report that drinking tonic water or taking a B-complex vitamin can prevent cramps.’
- ‘For example, adding salt to tonic water suppresses the bitterness and makes it taste sweeter.’
- ‘Pour the remaining vodka, tonic water and lemon juice into a bowl and stir in the gelatine mixture.’
- ‘A vodka tonic there meant a glass of cheap vodka and a bottle of tonic water.’
tonic water/ˈtänik ˌwädər//ˈtänik ˌwôdər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.