One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument, typically a small flat piece of wood, used by health practitioners to press down the tongue in order to allow inspection of the mouth or throat.
- ‘After I described my symptoms and he stuck a tongue depressor down my throat, he sent me down the hall for a blood test, which cost 15 yuan.’
- ‘The gag reflex is elicited by stroking the pharyngeal mucosa with a cotton-tipped applicator or tongue depressor.’
- ‘He opened a clear jar on a nearby counter and pulled out a simple wooden tongue depressor.’
- ‘It is understood that all should have blood pressure apparatus, stethoscope, percussion hammer, flashlight, tongue depressors, and thermometers as well as sterile syringes and needles or equipment with which to sterilize them.’
- ‘They also produce toothpicks, tongue depressors, and other medical supplies.’
- ‘We had no forks or plates, so we hacked off big slabs of cake, put them in emesis basins, and ate them with tongue depressors.’
- ‘Medical ‘equipment’ amounts to little more than a computer, a printer, a few chairs, a stethoscope, and some tongue depressors.’
- ‘There wasn't a stethoscope, tongue depressor, or thermometer in sight.’
- ‘The father and child left, the young Afghan sporting a nicely rigged splint made of tongue depressors and bandages on one hand and a coloring book in the other.’
- ‘How do you write regulations that cover devices ranging from tongue depressors and crutches to defibrillator pacemakers and MRI machines?’
- ‘He looked quite toxic and I didn't use a tongue depressor.’
- ‘The small closet swayed and packages of tongue depressors, bandages, pill bottles and other items showered from the upper shelves.’
- ‘Some doctors are using improvised equipment such as paperclips and clothes pegs to treat their patients, it is claimed, and solutions such as using wooden tongue depressors to splint the limbs of premature babies.’
- ‘A stethoscope whipped past, followed by tongue depressors and a DNA sampler.’
- ‘Guess how many old growth trees are cut down every year to make these tasteless tongue depressors?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.