A light horse-drawn two-wheeled vehicle used in India.
- ‘A horse-drawn tonga keeps stately pace with the latest Mercedes, jostled by cycles and bikes.’
- ‘When he lived in Lahore, he wore the latest suits and drove the finest tongas.’
- ‘Once the tonga was the most cherished vehicle of the city's elite and the common people alike.’
- ‘From there you take a bone-shaking bumpy ride in a tonga to Bisola.’
- ‘There are people astride camels and horses, and some ensconced within tongas and bullock carts for fun-filled rides.’
From Hindi tā̃gā.
A country in the South Pacific Ocean that consists of an island group southeast of Fiji; population 120,900 (est. 2009); capital, Nuku'alofa; languages, Tongan and English (both official)Also called the Friendly Islands