Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Altered so as to be less extreme or intense.‘a toned-down version of the report was published’
restrained, modest, understated, muted, subtle, quiet, low-profile, inconspicuous, unostentatious, unobtrusive, discreet, circumspect, played-down, self-effacing, relaxed, downbeat, easy-going, modulated, softenedView synonyms
- ‘Robert Englund plays The Phantom as a toned-down version of Freddy Krueger.’
- ‘I think it might lead to a more toned-down atmosphere.’
- ‘Some fashion experts are predicting a more toned-down Grammys.’
- ‘He has adopted a classier, toned-down look.’
- ‘Of his first four excellent novels, two were made into horror films; the wonderfully unsettling The Other, and a toned-down TV version of Harvest Home.’
- ‘My 8-year-old absolutely loves Eminem, so I try to get him the toned-down version - the edited, censored version.’
- ‘He turns in a toned-down performance that communicates a lot nonverbally.’
- ‘A sea of carpet in toned-down burgundy lay between walls twining with William Morris flowers on pale paper.’
- ‘Clients know they can always order a toned-down version later.’
- ‘These useless products are still being advertised on the Internet, albeit with toned-down claims.’
- ‘This recording is not all that good, not least because it uses the later, toned-down version of the opera.’
- ‘He was a natural for the toned-down realism of Tom Robertson's plays.’
- ‘After Sunday's elections, he said the government should reintroduce a toned-down version.’
- ‘Not every chardonnay fan will find this larger-than-life white to their taste, although the toned-down 2002 is less assertive than recent vintages.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.