One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A language in which variations in pitch distinguish different words.
- ‘The Tlingit language is a tone language that has 24 sounds not found in English.’
- ‘There are a vast number of languages that are known as tone languages or tonal languages.’
- ‘Krio is non-rhotic, syllable-timed, and a tone language.’
- ‘What we needed, then, were real examples of spontaneously written text in a tone language that, like Efik, has no written literary tradition of its own.’
- ‘Only a worldwide, comparative program of experiments can resolve the question of whether to mark tones in any given tone language at all, and if so, how much.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.