One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A method of telephone dialing in which each digit is transmitted as a different tone.Compare with pulse dialing
- ‘It is possible to include both pulse and tone dialling within the same dial string.’
- ‘Before attempting to dial check if the phone system uses pulse dialling or tone dialling.’
- ‘Most dual-equipped phones, if switched to pulse dialling, can be changed over to tone dialling by pressing the ’*’ key.’
- ‘In the UK only 15% of homes and businesses have tone dialling, although the network is currently able to support around 50% tone dialling.’
- ‘To set it up correctly for tone dialling you have to remove the front cover on the control panel.’
- ‘If you can use tone dialling, the amount of time it takes to dial can be changed using the S11 register.’
- ‘I do remember some years ago having an old BT internal phone system which supported dial phones and converted the pulses to tone dialling when accessing an outside line.’
- ‘This is quite slow compared with tone dialling.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.