One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The movable arm supporting the pickup of a record player.
- ‘We picked up the tone arm and played it again and again.’
- ‘The team discarded the tone arm and stylus cartridge, and replaced them with an optical delivery system or ‘optical head’ designed and constructed by the technical team.’
- ‘In addition to its assorted vibration-damping technologies, the tone arm allows you to dial in the sound with each platter by adjusting arm height, called VTA, on the fly.’
- ‘Its rudimentary suspension couldn't possibly cushion the tone arm from even the slightest road shocks.’
- ‘Reprogramming the satellite corrected the problem and now our tone arm is providing us with a listening experience unparalleled in hi-fi depth, clarity, and stereo soundstage.’
tone arm/ˈtōn ˌärm/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.