One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a fabric or design) dyed with or using different shades of the same color.
- ‘Remaining optimistic, the brothers are focused on their fall line that will feature tone-on-tone colors, matching shirts and suits, and striped ties.’
- ‘In a hue slightly darker than the fabric, stamp a design to create a tone-on-tone background that looks like a commercially printed fabric.’
- ‘‘Mercerized cotton damasks are the hardest for us to capture accurately,’ adds the photographer, noting that shiny fabrics, subtle textures, and tone-on-tone designs require some photographic tricks.’
- ‘Many solid-colored ties also feature tone-on-tone prints in the background.’
- ‘If you don't want to go beyond white, update your color with tone-on-tone neutrals like ecru, oyster, almond or biscuit.’
- ‘Once again, contrast piping or tone-on-tone jacquard prints are a great way to break up the monotony of solids.’
- ‘Monochromatic microprints replace last year's geometric and graffiti prints, the tone-on-tone effects playing with details like layering and draping, as well as offbeat fabric mixes.’
- ‘Tweedy or heathery tone-on-tone designs would fit in here.’
- ‘With solids, tone-on-tone is the preferred option.’
- ‘There is a new subtlety to beading and embellishment, with tone-on-tone work dominating.’
- ‘The line featured several uses of the very popular tone-on-tone look, where the shirt and tie are the same color.’
- ‘In addition to the textured designs, manufacturers are also reporting strong interest in tone-on-tone looks, where different shades of a color have been incorporated into a pattern.’
- ‘Consider a stitch sampler, using various threads and stitches, or a tone-on-tone patch.’
- ‘Shadow definition is pretty good, and tone-on-tone areas like jacket lapels show up much more clearly here than in some other releases.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.