One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person) unable to perceive differences of musical pitch accurately.
- ‘Egged on by friends he proceeded to rap out some tone-deaf songs, the melodies of which were mangled through drink.’
- ‘Why let fickle rock journalists and tone-deaf music fans control that myth?’
- ‘My 5-year-old giggled aloud at the silly premise of a tone-deaf and rhythmically challenged bird, Igor, who sets out in search of music lessons.’
- ‘But the most notable characteristic of the piano is that it is eminently suitable for the tone-deaf.’
- ‘It's actually quite good to get tone-deaf people who think they can sing to play.’
- ‘Last Sunday they even had a heavily amplified, tone-deaf rock band rehearsing in the backyard all afternoon.’
- ‘He couldn't carry a tune to save his life - he was tone-deaf.’
- ‘Even a tone-deaf fool like me can tell she has a voice like an angel.’
- ‘Aubrey and Maturin are enthusiastic amateur musicians, Hornblower is tone-deaf.’
- ‘7: 57: Thousands of tone-deaf Swiss croon along to their national anthem, which starts promisingly but then lapses into an introspective doggerel.’
- ‘After all, it included anyone who wanted to sing, from the tone-deaf bass who grumbled his monotone to the screeching soprano whose high C shattered glass.’
- ‘My sisters can both sing, but my mother is tone-deaf and my father just can't sing.’
- ‘If you think you're tone-deaf, she teaches you to hear the differences between each instrument.’
- ‘Yet reading this novel, even a tone-deaf person could feel the delight and excitement that music enthusiasts experience when they hear an uplifting melody.’
- ‘But I do know good music from bad music, and I can tell the difference between talented musicians and tone-deaf wannabes with no sense of rhythm.’
- ‘It feels like being tone-deaf in a world of musicians.’
- ‘And if you'd seen the way he got into the song, even in his tone-deaf, screechy manner, you'd fall in love with this song, too.’
- ‘She didn't care, even when we said she was tone-deaf!’
- ‘The girl who sings it has a gorgeous voice, and I feel terrible for singing it with my tone-deaf one.’
- ‘The software displays the recording's structure, identifying the notes by pitch as high and low notes, alerting the tone-deaf to where their melody fell apart.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.