One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One ton of freight carried one mile, as a unit of traffic.
- ‘Spatial networks are invariably ignored with output treated as single homogeneous measures such as ton-miles.’
- ‘He pays trucking firms both by the hour and by the ton-mile.’
- ‘Total volume through the first 47 weeks of 2004 was estimated at 1.458 trillion ton-miles, up 5.1 percent from a year ago.’
- ‘During the week ending Oct 16, U.S. railroads' volume totaled 33.1 billion ton-miles, breaking the record of 32.7 billion ton-miles set a week earlier.’
- ‘Consequently, the number of ton-miles tripled, while the number of roads and track mileage dwindled.’
- ‘This is a probable decrease in the cost of maintenance per 1,000 gross ton-miles of traffic movement.’
- ‘Total volume was estimated at 32.5 billion ton-miles, up 1.2 percent from last year.’
- ‘They estimate that trucks generate about 45% of all ton-miles associated with the carriage of agricultural products and carry about 66% of the transported agricultural tonnage.’
- ‘Did you know that Class I U.S. railroads provided a record 1.55 trillion ton-miles of freight service in 2003?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.