Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A technique for displaying a representation of a cross section through a human body or other solid object using X-rays or ultrasound.
- ‘Ultrasonography and computed tomography will show the size, position, and number of liver cysts and any extrahepatic cysts.’
- ‘Ultrasonography and computed tomography are the imaging studies of choice.’
- ‘The diagnosis may be confirmed with plain radiography, computed tomography, or endoscopy.’
- ‘They can be treated by percutaneous drainage guided by ultrasonography or computed tomography if the pancreatic injury was minor.’
- ‘We used plain radiography or computed tomography to diagnose pneumonia.’
1930s: from Greek tomos slice, section + -graphy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.