A type of submachine gun.
- ‘Gangsters, pumped up with adrenaline, rake bank interiors and nearby storefronts with tommy guns.’
- ‘In one of the film's most famous scenes, Camonte secures a tommy gun from a now dead, would-be assassin and, with the joy and fascination of a child at Christmas, tries out his new toy.’
- ‘Capone's usual partner was Jack McGurn, a sleek, handsome virtuoso of the tommy gun, architect of the St. Valentine's Day shootings.’
- ‘Its most famous shark hunter was writer Ernest Hemingway, who boasted about shooting sharks with a tommy gun from the dockside when he fished the area in the 1930s.’
- ‘Prodded in the ribs by the tommy guns of their guardians, he and his men began to move.’
- ‘He's going to opium dens where he's part of a gang as a hired assassin who carries a tommy gun in a violin case.’
- ‘This dapper crew, decked out with pristine suits, scrawny moustaches and tommy guns, is brilliantly cast.’
- ‘I did like the shoot out outside of the pub, the muzzle flashes of the tommy gun in the darkness at the end of the street, as the bodyguards are mowed down in slow-motion in the rain.’
- ‘Meanwhile our heroes have a couple of handguns and a tommy gun.’
- ‘Within pages, we've shifted gear from existential drama to gunplay complete with tommy guns and a truly horrible scene that leaves Amy literally scarred for life.’
- ‘Then, another time a bullet shot the tommy gun right out of my hands - it hit the wooden stock.’
- ‘They also looted property totalling 5.4 million yuan, five taxis, two tommy guns and 20 bullets.’
- ‘As he travels farther along, he'll also manage to acquire pistols, tommy guns, grenades and other weapons.’
- ‘This heavily furnished, tightly buttoned film has all the familiar tommy guns, antique automobiles, snap brim hats and heavy suits, but it's very unusual.’
1920s: contraction of Thompson gun, named by its designer after John T. Thompson (1860–1940), the American army officer who conceived the idea for it.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.