One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dose of something toxic, in particular of nuclear radiation, believed to be the maximum that can be taken without harm.
- ‘Bowel tolerance doses are the amounts of ascorbic acid tolerated orally that almost, but not quite, cause diarrhea.’
- ‘Perhaps it is only near tolerance doses that the ascorbate is pushed into the primary sites of the disease.’
- ‘Some were so radioactive in the first few days after the blast that the daily tolerance dose of 0.1 roentgen per day was reached in less than a minute.’
- ‘One needs to treat to a tolerance dose because undertreatment will be useless.’
- ‘For example clinical hepatitis may not be evident when treating part of the liver beyond the tolerance dose as the rest of the liver is still functioning normally.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.