Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dose of something toxic, in particular of nuclear radiation, believed to be the maximum that can be taken without harm.
- ‘Perhaps it is only near tolerance doses that the ascorbate is pushed into the primary sites of the disease.’
- ‘Bowel tolerance doses are the amounts of ascorbic acid tolerated orally that almost, but not quite, cause diarrhea.’
- ‘For example clinical hepatitis may not be evident when treating part of the liver beyond the tolerance dose as the rest of the liver is still functioning normally.’
- ‘Some were so radioactive in the first few days after the blast that the daily tolerance dose of 0.1 roentgen per day was reached in less than a minute.’
- ‘One needs to treat to a tolerance dose because undertreatment will be useless.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.