A synthetic compound used to lower blood sugar levels in the treatment of diabetes.
- ‘Examples of sulfonylureas include tolbutamide, chlorpropamide, glyburide and glipizide.’
- ‘In some studies, karela extract has shown more hypoglycemic effects than the drug tolbutamide.’
- ‘Alcohol-extracted charantin from Momordica charantia consists of mixed steroids and was found to be more potent than the oral hypoglycemic agent tolbutamide in an animal study.’
- ‘For example, sulfonamides used for infection were noted to lower blood sugar and led to drugs such as tolbutamide for diabetes.’
- ‘Based on studies of the distribution of first-generation sulfonylureas into breast milk, the AAP considers tolbutamide to be compatible with breast-feeding.’
1950s: from tol(uene) + but(yl) + amide.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.