Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Curd made from mashed soybeans, used chiefly in Asian and vegetarian cooking.
- ‘Keep meals simple, and eat ingredients that are particularly good for you - brown rice, avocado and tofu.’
- ‘He only consumes 100 grams of rice per meal with vegetables and tempeh or tofu.’
- ‘Tempeh and tofu are great sources of protein, both for vegetarians and people trying to lower their meat intake.’
- ‘For a long time, tofu was the best known human food made from soy, but its niche was small.’
- ‘Soft or silken tofu can be used for dips, spreads, sauces and sweet dishes.’
- ‘Choose from lime and chilli chicken, falafel, spiced meatballs and organic tofu.’
- ‘No one is ever going to successfully copy his dishes, he insists, because they'll never have his tofu.’
- ‘The Asian diet includes grains such as rice and noodles, and soy foods like tofu and tempeh.’
- ‘Bean curd or tofu can be justifiably called a great invention of ancient China.’
- ‘Soy milk can be used in place of cow's milk or can be used to make curd in the form of tofu or tempeh.’
- ‘To make a richer tasting dish, you can pan fry the tofu in olive oil before adding to the stew.’
- ‘I quite like Quorn, but I wouldn't want it every day, and tofu leaves me cold.’
- ‘Well, we met on Thursday and ate a feast of sashimi, tofu, salad and they ate meaty stuff.’
- ‘Indian paneer cheese is similar to Asian tofu in that it has a bland flavour in itself, but it absorbs the flavours of other ingredients well.’
- ‘Where I live in Lower Manhattan there are a lot of Chinese vegan restaurants and they do amazing things with tofu.’
- ‘It is made of bread, pine nuts and strong-smelling preserved tofu, or bean curd.’
- ‘She showed me how she cooked the rice, chopped the onions and cut to pieces the jiggly white tofu.’
- ‘Hakka people are good at making tofu dishes, since tofu for quite a long time was the main source of their protein.’
- ‘In the latter case, you may want to add diced tofu or ham to the filling for a bit more protein.’
- ‘Lin says for the home-style bean curd they use soft tofu and mix it with shredded pork, red pepper and green onion.’
From Japanese tōfu, from Chinese dòufu, from dòu beans + fŭ rot, turn sour.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.