One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The nail at the tip of each toe.
- ‘An ingrown toenail occurs when the edge of the toenail grows into the soft skin surrounding the nail.’
- ‘The infection is more likely in toenails than in fingernails.’
- ‘If your toenail does not improve, your GP or podiatrist will be able to partially remove your toenail to allow the nail to grow back and heal.’
- ‘Your fingernails and toenails also are made of the protein keratin.’
- ‘If you get any solution on your fingernails or toenails, use alcohol to keep your cuticles from turning orange.’
- ‘I had painted my toenails and fingernails varying shades of purple, and I was wearing my open-toed heeled sandals.’
- ‘Her nail varnish is applied patchily, on bitten fingernails and bitten toenails.’
- ‘See your doctor if you think you have a fungal infection in your fingernails or toenails.’
- ‘Some had the national flag painted on their fingernails and toenails.’
- ‘To avoid ingrown toenails, cut your nails straight across.’
- ‘Workers often lose fingernails and toenails, and they suffer injuries from the knives, saws, and machinery.’
- ‘Careful examination of the fingernails and toenails can provide clues to underlying systemic diseases.’
- ‘By the time she was able to go home, she'd lost much of her hair, her eyelashes, eyebrows, fingernails, and toenails.’
- ‘In the blink of an eye, her fingernails and toenails were painted a shade of blue to match her dress.’
- ‘For some women, hormonal changes may cause the fingernails and toenails to grow faster than usual or to become brittle or soft.’
- ‘Scratching an infected toenail can infect your fingernails.’
- ‘The decoration of both toenails and fingernails for aesthetic purposes dates back at least as far as Ancient Egypt, where henna and other products were applied to colour the feet and hands as well as the nails.’
- ‘They affect the toenails more often than the fingernails.’
- ‘Tinea unguium is a form of ringworm that most commonly infects fingernails and toenails.’
- ‘Fingernails grow about three or four times as quickly as toenails.’
2A nail driven obliquely through a piece of wood to secure it.
- ‘Also, try and stagger the toenails on each side of the board, rather than placing all of them on one side.’
Fasten (a piece of wood) by driving a nail obliquely through it.
- ‘The wood is secured by toenailing it to the roof decking.’
- ‘Assemble the frieze sections on level ground, and against a straight edge to keep them square, before toenailing them to the 4x4 posts.’
- ‘Some of the boards can be face nailed into the long spoke, others must toenailed.’
- ‘If necessary shim before you secure pre-drill and toenail the stringer to the piers.’
- ‘Secure the spanning joist to the post and toenail it to the center nailing block.’
- ‘Then toenail the joist through the joist into the girder.’
- ‘Then, using 16-penny nails, toenail the curb through the sheathing to the frame.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.