One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The nail at the tip of each toe.
- ‘See your doctor if you think you have a fungal infection in your fingernails or toenails.’
- ‘By the time she was able to go home, she'd lost much of her hair, her eyelashes, eyebrows, fingernails, and toenails.’
- ‘Her nail varnish is applied patchily, on bitten fingernails and bitten toenails.’
- ‘To avoid ingrown toenails, cut your nails straight across.’
- ‘An ingrown toenail occurs when the edge of the toenail grows into the soft skin surrounding the nail.’
- ‘Fingernails grow about three or four times as quickly as toenails.’
- ‘The infection is more likely in toenails than in fingernails.’
- ‘I had painted my toenails and fingernails varying shades of purple, and I was wearing my open-toed heeled sandals.’
- ‘If your toenail does not improve, your GP or podiatrist will be able to partially remove your toenail to allow the nail to grow back and heal.’
- ‘In the blink of an eye, her fingernails and toenails were painted a shade of blue to match her dress.’
- ‘They affect the toenails more often than the fingernails.’
- ‘If you get any solution on your fingernails or toenails, use alcohol to keep your cuticles from turning orange.’
- ‘Some had the national flag painted on their fingernails and toenails.’
- ‘The decoration of both toenails and fingernails for aesthetic purposes dates back at least as far as Ancient Egypt, where henna and other products were applied to colour the feet and hands as well as the nails.’
- ‘Tinea unguium is a form of ringworm that most commonly infects fingernails and toenails.’
- ‘Workers often lose fingernails and toenails, and they suffer injuries from the knives, saws, and machinery.’
- ‘Your fingernails and toenails also are made of the protein keratin.’
- ‘Scratching an infected toenail can infect your fingernails.’
- ‘For some women, hormonal changes may cause the fingernails and toenails to grow faster than usual or to become brittle or soft.’
- ‘Careful examination of the fingernails and toenails can provide clues to underlying systemic diseases.’
2A nail driven obliquely through a piece of wood to secure it.
- ‘Also, try and stagger the toenails on each side of the board, rather than placing all of them on one side.’
Fasten (a piece of wood) by driving a nail obliquely through it.
- ‘The wood is secured by toenailing it to the roof decking.’
- ‘Secure the spanning joist to the post and toenail it to the center nailing block.’
- ‘Then toenail the joist through the joist into the girder.’
- ‘Some of the boards can be face nailed into the long spoke, others must toenailed.’
- ‘If necessary shim before you secure pre-drill and toenail the stringer to the piers.’
- ‘Assemble the frieze sections on level ground, and against a straight edge to keep them square, before toenailing them to the 4x4 posts.’
- ‘Then, using 16-penny nails, toenail the curb through the sheathing to the frame.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.