One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bacterial antibiotic used chiefly to treat pseudomonas infections.
- ‘Half were given normal treatment, the other half four antibiotics (polymyxin E, tobramycin, amphotericin B, and cefotaxime).’
- ‘First, you attributed the rise in serum creatinine to the administration of 2 aminoglycoside antibiotics, gentamycin and tobramycin.’
- ‘The organism was sensitive to amikacin, gentamicin, and tobramycin.’
- ‘Treatment with ampicillin supplemented with gentamicin or tobramycin for two to six weeks is best.’
- ‘Valproic acid is an anticonvulsant drug used to treat various seizures and tobramycin is an antibiotic used to control many bacterial infections.’
1970s: from to- (of unknown origin) + Latin ( tene)bra(rius) ‘belonging to darkness’ (part of the name of the bacterium) + -mycin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.