One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With adherence to every detail.‘the method was followed to the letter’
strictly, precisely, exactly, accurately, closely, faithfully, religiously, punctiliously, literally, with a literal interpretation, with strict attention to detail, word for word, letter for letter, verbatim, in every detail, by the bookView synonyms
- ‘The council stands by its decision, insisting that the consultation process has been followed to the letter.’
- ‘Since I never had done something like this before, I followed a recipe to the letter.’
- ‘In short, in implementing this process all steps should be followed to the letter.’
- ‘The quality was very good and our delivery instructions were followed to the letter.’
- ‘Remember, the following horoscope is legally binding, and you are obliged to follow it to the letter.’
- ‘There are guidelines set out for situations like this and we will follow them to the letter.’
- ‘He says his intention is to highlight the absurdities and deceptions in consumer culture by following its rules to the letter.’
- ‘It is a case where a strict adherence to the letter would involve an error in substance.’
- ‘She would follow his instructions to the letter but she would not like it at all.’
- ‘Controlling officers should also ensure that regulations are followed to the letter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.