One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Within easy reach.‘have a pen and paper to hand’
readily available, available, handy, near at hand, within reach, accessible, ready, close, close by, near, nearby, at the ready, at one's fingertips, at one's disposal, convenientView synonyms
- ‘He invited us to sit on the toilet, the only seating that was ready to hand in his office.’
- ‘After a few minutes I had the fish close to hand where I could bend down and slip out the hook.’
- ‘The big bonus here is that all the fun and games of the casino are close to hand.’
- ‘All borrowers need to do is have their membership number to hand, ready to enter using the phone keys.’
- ‘The moral is to be prepared and always have an umbrella near to hand, just in case!’
- ‘Having this detailed information to hand can make it easier to find the most appropriate deal.’
- ‘To use these sites, consumers will need to have copies of their most recent utility bills to hand.’
- ‘It is quite handy to have such an instrument to hand, but foolish to make use of it at every opportunity.’
- ‘Puzzled and perplexed by all this, I went a bit further into the material to hand.’
- ‘Hmm, wish I had the movie to hand so I could aim my critical blade with greater accuracy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.