One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a North American people of the coasts and islands of southeastern Alaska and adjacent British Columbia.
- ‘The man never stopped talking, and he talked with everyone he met - white farmers, black freedmen, women of all ages, hordes of children, ministers of the gospel, a canoe full of Tlingits paddling along the Alaska coast.’
- ‘In Tlingit society today, even though many Tlingits marry other Tlingits, there exists a great deal of interracial marriage, which has changed some of the dynamics of family and clan relationships.’
- ‘Such helmets were used in inter-tribal wars and during the first military encounters between the Tlingits and the Russians at the turn of the nineteenth century.’
- ‘The bag was collected in the early twentieth century by Gregory Charles, a teacher in Telegraph Creek, British Columbia, where the Tahltans and Tlingits conducted trade with each other and the outside world.’
- ‘The Tlingit of Alaska know this, and they are tenaciously preserving the remnants of a culture uncomfortably close to extinction.’
2The Na-Dene language of the Tlingit.
- ‘Gregor muttered something in Tlingit and Dmitri abruptly released him.’
- ‘In the nineteenth century, the first attempts were made to communicate in Tlingit through writing.’
- ‘The other clan held what amounts to an oral copyright, requiring that the story only be told, word-for-word, by an approved clan member who has committed it to memory, in Tlingit.’
Relating to the Tlingit or their language.
- ‘The name Chilkat refers to a Tlingit tribe known for this style of weaving.’
- ‘An anthropologist of Tsimshian and Tlingit descent, his principles are derived from his experience with the Gitkxaala Nation in British Columbia.’
- ‘This book celebrates Tlingit traditions and demonstrates their unique facets.’
- ‘These First Nations are of Tagish, Tlingit, and Southern Tutchone cultural backgrounds.’
- ‘Unlike the English alphabet of 26 letters, the Tlingit language has at least 32 consonants and eight vowels.’
The name in Tlingit.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.