One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a people of southeastern Nigeria.
- ‘He was one of the first Christian converts among the Tiv of Nigeria.’
- ‘He noted a similar combination of mental processes among the Tiv.’
- ‘The military intervention is being carried out in the name of restoring peace in the face of inter-tribal clashes between members of the Hausa-Fulani and Tivs.’
- ‘They had been sent to quell violence between two local tribes, the Tivs and Jukuns, and the army blames Tiv militias for their deaths.’
- ‘This West African form of divination, like that of the Tiv, and the Shona in Zimbabwe, is clearly interpretative but it is also highly interactive and dialogical in that it involves both diviner and client in the process of understanding.’
2The Benue-Congo language of the Tiv.
- ‘English is the official language; however, Yoruba, Ibo, and Hausa represent the principal languages, joined by Kanuri, Fulani, Nupe, Tiv, Edo, Ijaw and Ibibio.’
Relating to the Tiv or their language.
- ‘His account of Tiv life under colonialism was the first written in the Tiv language and was translated and edited by Rupert East.’
- ‘Unconfirmed reports suggest that Tiv militias are carrying out massacres.’
- ‘Thus, Tiv divining-chain oracles cannot be classified as either strictly inductive or strictly intuitive, but rather interpretative.’
- ‘The massacres sparked violent outbreaks in the Benue state capital, Makurdi, where angry Tiv students from two universities rampaged through the streets Wednesday, armed with sticks, knives and iron bars.’
- ‘Another example, probably by the same hand, was published recently with a Benue Valley / Tiv attribution.’
The name in Tiv.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.