One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The person who is the current champion in a particular contest or sport; the title-holder.‘Johnson, the reigning titlist, is vying for what would be a historic seventh crown’
winner, title-holder, defending champion, gold medallistView synonyms
- ‘The younger challenger kept throwing quick combinations to the fading titlist, winning an important point down the stretch.’
- ‘Five-time Grand Slam titlist Martina Hingis confirms her participation at an exhibition match during the Hobart International in January 2014.’
- ‘Both of last week's doubles titlists were playing their first event together.’
- ‘The two former world number ones and Grand Slam titlists had contrasting results in the semifinals.’
- ‘Maria Sharapova lost her third round match at Italian Open to fellow former French Open titlist Ana Ivanovic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.