Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who holds a title, especially a sports champion.
- ‘But he takes over from Mike Atherton for what could prove to be the most important championship match of the season against the title-holders.’
- ‘New Zealand head the Tri-Nations standings on eight points, one ahead of title-holders Australia with Saturday's winner taking the title.’
- ‘Joe Louis did and he was more than a title-holder.’
- ‘There is still a long way to go for the golf title-holders but last weekend's marvellous 25-11 victory over Leeds at West Bowling has put the team in a buoyant mood.’
- ‘Injury and illness to Fallon, the six-time title-holder, saw him concede the championship with three weeks still to go.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.