Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of titanium with a lower valence, usually three.Compare with titanic
- ‘Titanous Chloride Method: Nitrate is determined potentiometrically using an NH3 gas-sensing electrode after nitrate is reduced to NH3 by a titanous chloride reagent.’
- ‘Preferred multivalent metal ions are titanous and vanadous ions where nickel is recovered in a cell.’
- ‘From these results it would appear that titanous chloride is most effective with inorganic sulfur.’
- ‘It was concluded that the neutral or basic action of titanous oxide was a useful substitute for wustite in the slag.’
- ‘Further, they have developed methods to bind such catalytic ligands to semi-solid supports which provide an appropriate reaction environment for rapid destruction of perchlorates by titanous species.’
Mid 19th century: from titanium, on the pattern of words such as ferrous.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.