One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of titanium with a lower valence, usually three.Compare with titanic
- ‘Preferred multivalent metal ions are titanous and vanadous ions where nickel is recovered in a cell.’
- ‘Further, they have developed methods to bind such catalytic ligands to semi-solid supports which provide an appropriate reaction environment for rapid destruction of perchlorates by titanous species.’
- ‘From these results it would appear that titanous chloride is most effective with inorganic sulfur.’
- ‘It was concluded that the neutral or basic action of titanous oxide was a useful substitute for wustite in the slag.’
- ‘Titanous Chloride Method: Nitrate is determined potentiometrically using an NH3 gas-sensing electrode after nitrate is reduced to NH3 by a titanous chloride reagent.’
Mid 19th century: from titanium, on the pattern of words such as ferrous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.