Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for sphene
- ‘Secondary titanite, chlorite, white mica and pyrrhotite are abundant, and some samples contain metamorphic biotite.’
- ‘Some calcareous veins contain epidote, titanite and apatite.’
- ‘Finer-grained titanite is also a common matrix mineral.’
- ‘Magnetite, apatite, titanite and zircon make up the accessory minerals.’
- ‘During obduction, mantle-derived magmas most likely evolved to granitic compositions by assimilation of sediments and by fractional crystallization of amphibole, feldspar, titanite and allanite.’
Late 18th century: from titanium + -ite.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.