One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A female Titan.
- ‘The Lampades defended Hekate with their torches just as the Titaness herself fought in the wars of the gods.’
- ‘From this union she bore the nine Titans and three Titanesses each of whom took a brother as husband.’
- ‘She was the Goddess of Wisdom, and the daughter of the Titaness who basically personified it.’
- ‘Knowing that she begins a new tradition, LaMotte chooses to address the Mother of the Muses, Mnemosyne, ‘thou Titaness, / Thou ancient one, daughter of Heaven and Earth’ instead of Calliope, the muse of epic poetry.’
- ‘The Titaness Theia bore, to her husband Hyperion, Helios, the sun, Selene, the moon and Eos, the dawn.’
- 1.1titaness A female person of very great strength, intellect, or importance.
- ‘If his report had unduly favoured one of these equally matched titanesses, that was a natural consequence of their having been lovers for quite some time.’
- ‘All of this goes into the more recent nudes, a fabulous composition of brickwork titanesses limned in starry outlines surrounded by the appurtenances of beauty.’
- ‘Here the Titaness of the midlands was hostess to her more restrained sisters of the East and West.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.