Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A portable gauge for measuring the air pressure in a tire.
- ‘The novel tyre gauge allows the motorist to conduct a cursor check of his or her car to see that the tread depth is above the legal limit of 1.6mm.’
- ‘You own far too many tyre gauges, throw all but one away and you will never have this problem again.’
- ‘This Ring digital tyre gauge has some excellent features.’
- ‘Everyone was using an assortment of things from keys to matchsticks while juggling torches in their mouths and tyre gauges in their hands in an effort to let their tyres down quickly.’
- ‘To be honest, I haven't used more than half a dozen tyre gauges in my lifetime, but what strikes me as more useful in this device than its ‘wonderful’ talking mechanism, is its sleek and lightweight design, its battery saving, automatic shut-off feature and its comfortable, curved plastic ‘grip system’.’
- ‘It also reports on our tests of a number of new tyre gauges available from auto accessory stores.’
- ‘AccuGage tyre gauges are made in the U.S.A by G.H. Meiser & Co., the worlds largest maker of precision tyre gauges.’
- ‘This dual headed pocket tyre gauge is suitable for all vehicles.’
- ‘We searched the Internet and there was nothing except very expensive tyre gauges and sensors transmitting back to the dashboard.’
- ‘This high quality digital tyre pressure gauge has a simple one button operation and automatic shut off.’
- ‘Also included in the range are air compressors, digital tyre gauges, spare wheel covers, power inverters and a full range of protective boot liner and floor mats.’
- ‘This unique light weight digital tyre gauge is convenient and practical way for you to check your tyre pressure measurement, your pressure is displayed on an easy to read LCD display.’
- ‘For sales, and service of all makes of tyre gauges throughout New Zealand contact Airtools'R'us.’
- ‘The campaign, which was launched in 2005, has now been successfully conducted in almost 80 countries, including Australia, where a quarter of a million tyre gauges have been given to automotive clubs such as the RACV, NRMA and RAA to promote this program to their members.’
- ‘The campaign includes the distribution of 4 million leaflets on road safety measures and risks such as speeding or driving under the influence of intoxicants and 1 million tyre gauges per year.’
- ‘Millions of tyre gauges for measuring tyre pressure and tread depth will be distributed to the public at campaign events, by automobile club roadside patrols and at Formula One Grand Prix races;’
- ‘On that note, can anyone recommend a really accurate tyre pressure gauge?’
- ‘The tyre pressure gauges that are utilized on the forecourt to measure your tyre pressures are often hopelessly inadequate.’
- ‘Your tyre gauge lets out half the air while you're trying to get a reading and then the free air at the service station has stopped working.’
- ‘Check our online store for jacks/pumps and tyre gauges, wheel trims, car seat covers, roof boxes and much more.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.