One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tin miner or tinsmith.
- ‘The floor-men are laying the floor, the tinners are tinning the roof, the masons are calling for mortar.’
- ‘A bard of the Cornish Gorsedd, Gundry published Songs and dances of Cornwall in 1966, and used Cornish subjects, and folk-song material, in his operas The tinners of Cornwall and the comic opera The logan rock.’
- ‘The first converts were common folk - a former priest and his wife, the missionaries' house servants, and a tinner.’
- ‘There was an explosion in the town hall shop of Settle tinner L Jackson.’
- ‘100 years ago: A former tinner from Scarborough, who became a national cause celebre after he stole a turnip from a field whilst desperately poor, was in the news again.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.