One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tin miner or tinsmith.
- ‘The first converts were common folk - a former priest and his wife, the missionaries' house servants, and a tinner.’
- ‘There was an explosion in the town hall shop of Settle tinner L Jackson.’
- ‘A bard of the Cornish Gorsedd, Gundry published Songs and dances of Cornwall in 1966, and used Cornish subjects, and folk-song material, in his operas The tinners of Cornwall and the comic opera The logan rock.’
- ‘100 years ago: A former tinner from Scarborough, who became a national cause celebre after he stole a turnip from a field whilst desperately poor, was in the news again.’
- ‘The floor-men are laying the floor, the tinners are tinning the roof, the masons are calling for mortar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.