One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound that acts as a beta blocker and is used to treat hypertension, migraines, and glaucoma.
- ‘The beta blockers, including propranolol, nadolol, atenolol, metoprolol, and timolol, are effective but may cause fatigue, sleep disorders, and decreased exercise tolerance.’
- ‘The beta-blocker medication timolol may have significant cardiac side effects, including bradycardia and heart failure.’
- ‘There is good evidence for the efficacy of propranolol and timolol.’
- ‘On the other hand, absence of evidence of effectiveness is not the same as evidence of absence of effectiveness, and atenolol may, in reality, be as effective as propranolol or timolol.’
- ‘One researcher found topical use of the betablocker, timolol, did not work as well in the evening.’
1970s: from tim- (of unknown origin) + (propran)olol.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.