One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A card used to record an employee's starting and quitting times, usually stamped by a time clock.
- ‘I don't see how it is much different to punching a timecard.’
- ‘His was the labor of a grinder, carry after carry, game alter game, season after season, always punching in that timecard, obsessed with proving not only his talent but his dependability.’
- ‘Another course, on paperwork, teaches employees how to read, understand, and fill out standard construction forms and timecards correctly.’
- ‘A spokesman told the New York Times that the audit was meaningless and suggested the infractions were the product of workers forgetting to punch their timecards properly.’
- ‘A quick review of timecards found women working over 315 hours in a month and 20 consecutive days without a day off.’
- ‘One timecard showed 33 hours clocked in the same day.’
- ‘It's not wireless, which means I will have to work in the upstairs office, but at least I can check e-mail and do timecards while I'm out.’
- ‘‘Technically, they're charging me with falsification of my timecard, because I took the day I spent in jail as a sick day,’ Norr said.’
- ‘The council of health unions ordered workers to punch their timecards when they got to work Monday, December 16 to make it difficult for government authorities to victimize workers who are joining a three-day strike.’
- ‘I return to inching through everyday moments, a life of timecards and textbooks.’
- ‘Reviewing the same timecards O'Rourke found one employee worked 316.5 hours in a month for an average 79 hours a week, including 20 consecutive days of work without a day off.’
- ‘Now with the new module we can keep a copy of every invoice and timecard, and each is available at the click of the mouse.’
- ‘The Jobclock system, designed exclusively for the construction trades, eliminates inaccurate or imprecise timecards.’
- ‘Anyone who's shaved a few hours off the old timecard on a Friday afternoon knows they weren't alone when they did it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.