Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A dish of finely minced meat or fish cooked with other ingredients in a pastry shell or in a mold.
- ‘Guests were welcomed with a sparkling wine with a dash of cassis, then on to the more serious matter of the timbale of shrimp, Parma ham and vegetables in tuna sauce, followed by a curry flavoured chicken cream soup, and lemon grass sorbet.’
- ‘I decided to see if the crushed shrimp and avocado timbale with Bloody Mary dressing stood up to its exciting description.’
- ‘To start I had a coconut and crab timbale with avocado served with five juicy crab claws, mango salsa and rocket salad for €9.80.’
- ‘The first dish that literally made my mouth water was a warm timbale of Arbroath smokies.’
- ‘We thought the crab timbale, though delicious, a little on the pricey side for such a dainty entrée but you won't hear me grumbling about the scallops.’
2Paired cylindrical drums played with sticks in Latin American dance music.
- ‘The drummer played the timbales and traps simultaneously.’
- ‘A master of the bongo and timbales, he deftly crafts complex and rousing Latin American anthems infused with a joyous intensity.’
- ‘I took up percussion in high school, learned congas and timbales, was basically self taught.’
- ‘There's keyboard, bass guitar, drums, two trumpets, two trombones, timbales, conga and two backing vocals.’
- ‘These three main patterns are amplified by turtle shells, claves, timbales, bongos, congas, maracas and tambourines.’
French, drum (in sense 1 with reference to the shape of the prepared dish; in sense 2 short for timbales cubains or timbales creoles Cuban or creole drums).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.