Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A surface covered by tiles.‘an area of plain tiling’
- ‘Incremental layers of internal plaster have been scraped back to reveal the original brickwork, fragments of tiling and mosaics.’
- ‘There are timber floors throughout the property, except for the dining and utility areas where terracotta tiling is used.’
- ‘Patio tiling is used on the lower level while the upper level is lawned and planted with colourful floral borders.’
- ‘The cavernous space pays homage to Moorish decor with its elaborately motifed terracotta plasterwork, ceramic tiling and large earthenware pots.’
- ‘Features here include mosaic tiling, underfloor heating and a power shower.’
- ‘Fitted with extensive wardrobes, this room also includes a spacious en suite with a double shower, underfloor heating, a heated towel rail and mosaic tiling.’
- ‘Both the bathroom and en suite have ceramic floor tiling and full-height wall tiling.’
- ‘This room is bright, courtesy of a large front window, and includes a raised fireplace with blue tiling and wood surround, into which sits a fitted gas fire.’
- ‘Inside, decorative features include Victorian tiling, a natural stone staircase, marble fireplaces and sash windows with working shutters.’
- ‘Upstairs a spacious and bright sitting room features an art deco style marble fireplace with original green glazed tiling and a shelved closet.’
- ‘By then the floor had long been stripped of its original marble tiles, replaced with industrial interlocking grey tiling.’
- ‘Apart from coloured grouting to brighten up old tiling, you can also tile over old tiles, as long as they are firmly stuck on.’
- ‘The old-fashioned look of the clock, the ceiling light, and the framed photographs fit in well with the period tiling and carpet.’
- ‘Mind you, I was projecting onto acoustic tiling, which isn't an ideal surface.’
- ‘The townhouses are well equipped, with painted white wood kitchens, mosaic tiling in the bathroom, wood and cast-iron fireplaces and fitted wardrobes in both bedrooms.’
- ‘To the back of the living area French doors lead out to a balcony with patio-style tiling.’
- 1.1Mathematics A way of arranging identical plane shapes so that they completely cover an area without overlapping.
- ‘Alex and Oliver submitted their tiling on May 15th, but had to wait until September before they knew that it was the first.’
- ‘It shows a portion of a diamond-based Penrose tiling of the plane.’
- ‘We can go ahead and bend the octagon into three dimensions to get an idea of the topology generated by this tiling of the hyperbolic plane.’
- ‘At first sight, the problem of whether one can find a tiling of the plane by shapes which will only tile non-periodically, seems lighthearted.’
- ‘This is a representation of a pentagonal tiling of the hyperbolic plane in which four pentagons meet at each vertex.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.