Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The hybrid offspring of a male tiger and a lioness.→ liger
- ‘When a male tiger is crossed with a female lion, there can be an offspring called a tiglon.’
- ‘Today there are believed to be a handful of ligers around the world and a similar number of tigons, the product of a tiger father and lion mother.’
- ‘Examples include tigons, a cross between a male tiger and a female lion, and beefalos, a cross between an American bison and a domestic cow.’
- ‘A liger is a tigress and lion union and tiglons, on the other hand are the products of tigers and lionesses.’
- ‘Newly arrived penguins from South America will join the Safari Park elephants, tigers, lions, birds, tiglons and ligers.’
1920s: portmanteau word from tiger and lion.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.