One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fast-running predatory beetle which has spotted or striped wing cases and flies in sunshine. The larvae live in tunnels from which they snatch passing insect prey.
- ‘Wilson briefly described a ‘waiting game’ between tiger beetles and their prey in which prey stopped moving when approached by the beetles.’
- ‘As an adult, the tiger beetle is one of the top insect predators on the beach.’
- ‘This tiger beetle, a common element of the forest fauna, is one of the largest in Trinidad.’
- ‘The Ohlone tiger beetle, an insect that exists only in Santa Cruz County, California, received final protection as an endangered species on October 3.’
- ‘It is unclear why the chiasmatic systems in other Coleoptera are evolutionarily less stable than the achiasmatic system in tiger beetles.’
tiger beetle/ˈtīɡər ˈbēdl/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.