One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A means of deciding a winner from competitors who have tied, in particular (in tennis) a special game to decide the winner of a set when the score is six games all.
- ‘Larsson threatened to bring off a king-size upset when he took the match into a fifth and deciding set after taking a fourth-set tiebreaker.’
- ‘The daylong quiz included visual clips, a rapid fire round and a tiebreaker to select the winner.’
- ‘The Falcons would lose tiebreakers to NFC teams Dallas and Minnesota if the play offs began today.’
- ‘All games were keenly contested and several matches were decided on tiebreakers.’
- ‘Their victory over the Patriots gives them the tiebreaker.’
- ‘Power was suffering pain in his left foot, which Lincou had trodden on early in the first game, but still managed to send the game into a tiebreak.’
- ‘The 10th and final race, however, was the tiebreak decider, with the winner declared champion.’
- ‘If the late Jimmy van Alen hadn't invented tennis' tiebreaker in the 1960s, Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi might still be playing.’
- ‘But the league should employ the same tiebreaker baseball does - a winner-goes-on game.’
- ‘She retrieves the break only to go match point down in the tiebreaker when she makes a complete hash of a simple volley.’
- ‘Williams, bidding for her fifth Grand Slam title and her first since 2001, overcame five set points in the tiebreaker.’
- ‘Scott wins the tiebreak with a score of 4-7 handing him the first set.’
- ‘In the deciding tiebreaker, Rafter went ahead 6-2 on an ace, several service winners and a backhand, crosscourt winner.’
- ‘He was declared the tournament winner on a tiebreak because he won more games with the black pieces.’
- ‘If Los Angeles wins, to split the season series, the Kings own the tiebreaker based on their superior division record.’
- ‘There also is a strong possibility the Raiders could miss the play-offs, because like the Patriots, they lose virtually all tiebreakers.’
- ‘At 30-30, there is a 19-stroke rally which is won by Robredo and he goes on to take the game and force the tiebreak.’
- ‘They played on to the tiebreak, where Agassi won on his second match point.’
- ‘Agassi had four set points in the tiebreaker, winning the only one on which he served.’
- ‘A tiebreaker in the fifth game was an auspicious ending to the inaugural Howe Cup doubles championship.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.