One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short pin with an ornamental head, used to attach the ends of a necktie to a shirt front.
- ‘It was Danny's favorite, a green suit coat and black slacks with a freshly ironed white shirt, a dark green tie and even a little gold tie tack.’
- ‘Defensive tackles sometimes are treated like tie tacks - accessories, not necessities.’
- ‘One of my young boys came up to me after the spring recital and proudly showed me his MTNA Achievement Award Pin, placed on his tie as a tie tack!’
- ‘One year for Papa's birthday I commissioned a gold tie tack to be made for him that was crafted from a photo of Brandy's face.’
- ‘A brooch to mark 15 or more years of service went to Mrs Hutchinson, with a tie tack for Lt Col Harold Washington.’
- ‘You mention looking at them in the box and thinking ‘thirteen tie tacks and no neckties.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.